Monday 20 October 2008

MOMIJI - First Proposed Treatment

I have come up with two alternatives in response to the brief - the reason for which is that I still need to experiment with each of them in order to establish which treatment works most effectively. Both solutions consist of the same narrative; they are just dealt with using different treatments. The principal concept is that the Momiji dolls have built their world - and they are still building it. The viewer is able to witness the construction of this world as the camera pans along.

Treatment One; Looking at the title 'spread the love' I began to think of how this concept could manifest itself visually. I instantly imagined colours as being the 'love' that is being spread. I then went on to experiment with different ways of making paint spread across the page - as it does when the paper is already wet. Through doing several of these experiments, I discovered that it was possible to create the impression of the paint spreading without my hands appearing in the frame.

When applied to the narrative, the buildings, plants etc. in their world will form out of the spreading colour as the camera moves along. The result will be very different from the current graphic illustrations currently on the website. The effect will appeal to the more 'artsy' fans because it will be alternative and appear more creative than ordinary ways of representing products. The imagery produced is also reminiscent of traditional Japanese painting, which will reinforce the dolls oriental impression.

Treatment Two; This idea uses imagery that is produced solely on the computer. Because its overall appearance will be cleaner and more ordered, there will be more room to play with each dolls individual character. The screen will be busy with objects and dolls moving everywhere as they build their world and partake in their favorite activities.

Thinking about the style of the music I will use, after listening to the small animations on the Momiji website, I was reminded of the work of Aphex Twin. Some of the songs I have chosen to look at possess the cute, child-like impression, however, they also have a metallic, clanking, techno-e sound operating in the back ground which gives it the twist Momiji are looking for. I've also been pointed in the direction of a band called 'mum'; these too, have the two very different elements conjoined. As I wont be able to use these pieces directly in my piece because of copy write issues, I will endeavor to find somebody to compose a piece which possess the components I felt to be appropriate in my examples. In both cases, the noises created are evocative of industrial building work - representing the building work of the Momiji dolls world.

No comments: